Proceedings of International Conference on Applied Innovation in IT
2019/10/06, Volume 7, Issue 2, pp.29-33
Wind Turbine Reliability: A Brief Review
Hamza Tariq, Andas Amrin, Christos Spitas
Abstract: Energy plays an important part in the economic growth and the socio-economic development. With the increasing global energy demand and the depletion of fossil fuels renewable energy like wind energy have become not only an important source of clean energy but also important of a nation’s energy security. The wind turbine industry as a result is rapid developing with a global capacity of approximately 230 GW and is expected to increase five times by 2020. As this industry is becoming more commercial manufacturers are incorporating technologies from other fields which are proven into the wind turbines. However, these technologies are sometimes not appropriate for the wind turbines, which then lead to high failure rate. Despite this issue there exits only a number of many studies on the reliability on the wind turbines. Hence, this paper aim is to provide a review on wind turbine and its sub-components reliability, providing an overview of components failure rate and downtimes.
Keywords: Wind Turbines, Reliability
- G. Eason, B. Noble and I.N. Sneddon, “On certain integrals of Lipschitz-Hankel type involving products of Bessel functions,” Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. London, vol. A247, pp. 529-551, April 1955.
- European Wind Energy Association (EWEA), Wind in power 2009: European statistics, 2010, [Online] Available: http://www.ewea.org.
- L. Fried, S. Shukla and S. Sawyer, “Global wind report”, Annual market update 2011, Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC), June 2012, [Online] Available: www.gwec.net.
- M. Villasalero, J.M. Pinar and F.P. García, “Technological innovation and dynamic capabilities in the Spanish wind energy business”, Journal of Euro marketing, vol. 20, 2011, pp. 18-38.
- E. Echavarria, B. Hahn, G. Van Bussel and T. Tomiyama, “Reliability of Wind Turbine Technology Through Time”, Journal Of Solar Energy Engineering, vol. 130(3), 2008, p. 1-10, doi: 10.1115/1.2936235
- “Eggersglüß: Windenergie X Praxisergebnisse, Landwirtschaftskammer Schleswig-Holstein,”
- Germany, 2004.
- “Wind Energy Report Germany 2006,” ISET, Kassel, 2006.
- “WindStats Newsletter,” Denmark, vol. 12(4)-14(3), 1999-2001.
- J. Ribrant, “Reliability Performance and Maintenance – A Survey of Failures in Wind Power Systems,” MS thesis, KTH School of Electrical Engineering, Stockholm, 2006.
- GJ.W. van Bussel and M.B. Zaaijer, “Estimation of Turbine Reliability Figures Within the DOWEC Project,” TU Delft, Report no. 10048, 2003.
- P.J. Tavner, C. Edwards, A. Brinkman and F. Spinato, “Influence of Wind Speed on Wind Turbine Reliability,” Int. J. Energy Res., vol. 30(1), 2006, pp. 55-72.
- M. Durstewitz, “A Statistical Evaluation of Icing Failures in Germany’s ’250 MW Wind’ Program,” ISET, Kassel, 2005.
- J. Pérez, F. Márquez, A. Tobias and M. Papaelias, “Wind turbine reliability analysis. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews”, vol. 23, 2013, pp. 463-472.
- M.H. Abderrazzag, “Energy production assessment of small wind farms”, Renewable Energy, vol. 29(15), 2004, pp. 2261-2272.
- F.C. Sayas and R.N. Allan, “Generation availability assessment of wind farms”, Proc Int Elect Eng C GenTrans Dist, vol. 143, 1996, pp. 507-518.
- P.S. Dokopoulos, A.C. Saramourtsis and A.G. Bakirtziz, “Prediction and evaluation of the performance of winddiesel energy systems”, IEEE Trans Energy Convers, vol. 11(2), 1996, pp. 385-393.
- R. Billinton and B. Guung, “Generating capacity adequacy associated with wind energy”, IEEE Trans Energy Convers, vol. 19(3), 2004, pp. 641-646.
- R. Billinton, H. Chen and R. Ghajar, “A sequential simulation technique for adequacy evaluation of generating systems including wind energy”, IEEE Trans Energy Convers, vol. 11(4), 1996, pp. 728-734.
- G.N. Kariniotakis, G.S. Stavrakakis and E.F. Nogaret, “Wind power forecasting using advanced neural networks models”, IEEE Trans Energy Convers, vol. 11(4), 1996, pp. 762-768.
- M. Holcher, “Generation continues, even in a storm”, Windpro J, no 70, 2003, p. 23.
- Y. Wan and D. Bucaneg, “Short-term power fluctuations of large wind power plants”, Trans ASME, , vol. 124(4), 2002, pp. 427-431.
- L. Shuhui, D.C. Wunsch, E.O. Hair and M.G. Giesselmann, “Comparative analysis of regression and artificial neural network models for wind turbine power curve estimation”, J Sol Energy Eng, , vol. 123, 2001, pp. 327-332.
- S.M. Camporeale, B. Fortunato and G. Marilli, “Automatic system for wind turbine testing”, J Sol Energy Eng, , vol. 123, 2001, pp. 333-337.
- B.T.S. Skiha and D.P. Kothari, “Wind power in India: shifting paradigms and challenges ahead”, J Energy Eng, vol. 130(3), 2004, pp. 67-80.
- P.J. Tavner, J. Xiang and F. Spinato, “Reliability analysis for wind turbines”, Wind Energy, vol. 10, 2007, pp. 1-18.
- E. Echavarria, T. Tomiyama and GJ.W. van Bussel, “How has reliability of technology developed throughtime?”, Scientific Proceedings of EWEC, Milan (Italy), 2007.
- E. Koutoulakos, “Wind turbine reliability characteristics and offshore availability assessment”, Master's thesis, TU Delft, 2008.
- P.J. Tavner, C. Edwards, A. Brinkman and F. Spinato, “Influence of wind speed on wind turbine reliability”, Wind Engineering, vol. 30(1), 2006, pp. 55-72.
- P. Tavner, R. Gindele, S. Faulstich, M. Whittle, D. Greenwood and B. Hahn, “Study of effects of weather & location on wind turbine failure rates”, In: Proceedings of the European wind energy conference EWEC, 2010.
- J. Ribrant and L.M. Bertling, “Survey of failures in wind power systems with focus on Swedish wind power plants during 1997–2005”, IEEE transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 22, 2007, pp. 167-173.
- J. Ribrant, “Reliability performance and maintenance – a survey of failures in wind power systems”, Master's thesis. Stockholm: KTH School of Electrical Engineering, 2006.
- D. McMillan and tGW Aul, “Condition monitoring benefit for onshore wind turbines: sensitivity to operational parameters”, Renewable Power Generation, IET, vol. 2(1), 2008, pp. 60-72.
- F. Spinato, P.J. Tavner, GJ.W. van Bussel and E. Koutoulakos, “Reliability of wind turbine subassemblies”, Renewable Power Generation, IET, vol. 3(4), 2009, pp. 387-401.
- Windstats newsletter database, Denmark, [Online] Available: www.windstats.com.
- Landwirtschaftskammer (LWK), Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, [Online] Available: http://www.lwksh.de/cms/index.php?id=1743.
- F.P. García, A.M. Tobias, J.M. Pinar and M. Papaelias, “Condition monitoring of wind turbines: techniques and methods”, Renewable Energy, vol. 46, 2012, pp. 169-178.
- GJ.W. van Bussel and M.B. Zaaijer, “Reliability, availability and maintenance aspects of large-scale offshore windfarms”, In: Proceedings of the 2001 European wind energy conference, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2011, pp. 557-560.
- GJ.W. van Bussel and M.B. Zaaijer, “Estimation of wind turbine reliability figures within the DOWEC project”, Report no.10048(4), 2003.