Proceedings of International Conference on Applied Innovation in IT
2017/03/16, Volume 5, Issue 1, pp.87-94
Development of the Detection Module for a SmartLighting System
Ivan Matveev, Eduard Siemens, Dmitri Dugaev, Aleksey Yurchenko
Abstract: The research presented in this paper focuses at the human detection means for lighting areas. In particular, analysis of output sensors signal and software signal processing, analysis of ambient conditions influence on detectors functionality is given. The performed research is based on experiments, conducted at the Future Internet Lab Anhalt. The main goal of this paper is development of the human detection module for a SmartLighting system that satisfies a set of requirements of reliable human object detection. The given tests have been performed using ultrasonic, radio wave and infrared sensors. The analysis of the performed experiments allows us to define a degree of sensors conformance for the aimed SmartLighting applications. As the result of the performed experiments it is also shown that the combination of different detectors provides the most informative parameters about moving object in a control area than any considered single detection method. The hardware design and signal processing algorithm of the detection module have also been implemented in the course of this work. We found out that the sensors combination provides an error probability of less than 1% of human movement detection at distances up to 10 meters.
Keywords: Smartlighting, Sensors, Detection, Human Detection, Detection Module
- Bai, Y.W., Cheng, C.C., Xie, Z.L., 2013. Use of ultrasonic signal coding and PIR sensors to enhance the sensing reliability of an embedded surveillance system. Presented at the 2013 IEEE International Systems Conference (SysCon), pp. 287–291. doi:10.1109/SysCon.2013.6549895
- Bland, J.M., Altman, D.G., 1996. Measurement error and correlation coefficients. BMJ 313, 41–42. Canali, C., Cicco, G.D., Morten, B., Prudenziati, M.,
- Taroni, A., 1982. A Temperature Compensated Ultrasonic Sensor Operating in Air for Distance and Proximity Measurements. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics IE-29, 336–341. doi:10.1109/TIE.1982.356688
- Combined detectors for alarm systems. Part 1., n.d.. Security systems. [Online], Available from: https://polyset.ru/article/st1001.php (accessed 8.12.16).
- Dugaev, D., Siemens, E., 2014. A Wireless Mesh Network NS-3 Simulation Model: Implementation and Performance Comparison With a Real Test-Bed, in: Proceedings of 2nd Applied Innovations in IT International Conference. Koethen, Germany, pp. 1–5.
- Dugaev, D., Zinov, S., Siemens, E., 2014. A Survey of Multi-Hop Routing Schemes in Wireless Networks applied for the SmartLighting Scenario, in: Proceedings of 5th Technologies and Equipment for Information Measurement International Conference. Tomsk Polytechnic Univ., Tomsk, Russia.
- Fardi, B., Schuenert, U., Wanielik, G., 2005. Shape and motion-based pedestrian detection in infrared images: a multi sensor approach. Intelligent Vehicles Symposium. Presented at the IEEE Proceedings., pp. 18–23. doi:10.1109/IVS.2005.1505071
- Goponenko, A.S., Matveev, I.G., 2015. Overview of motion and presence detection systems used in smart lighting systems, in: Proceedings of Information and Measuring Techniques and Technologies Conference. Tomsk Polytechnic Univ., Tomsk, Russia, pp. 241–246.
- International Energy Agency, 2006. Light’s labour’s lost. Policies for energy-efficient lighting. Paris, France: IEA.
- Lighting Orient Co., n.d. Project of LED Street Lights. [Online], Available from: http://www.ledlightsorient.com/docs/LEDStreetLight Projects.pdf (accessed 15.01.16).
- Mainetti, L., Patrono, L., Sergi, I., 2014. A survey on indoor positioning systems, in: Presented at the 2014 22nd International Conference on Software, Telecommunications and Computer Networks (SoftCOM), pp. 111–120. doi:10.1109/SOFTCOM.2014.7039067
- Matveev, I.G., Goponenko, A.S., Yurchenko, A.V., Kovalev, M.V., 2015. Design of detection module based on BeagleBone Black microcomputer, in: Polzunovsky Vestnik No.3 2015. pp. 126–130.
- Matveev, I., Siemens, E., Yurchenko, A., Kuznetsov, D., 2016. Development and Experimental Investigations of Motion Detection Module for Smart Lighting System. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering 132, 1–6. doi:10.1088/1757-899X/132/1/012010
- Pfeifer, T., Elias, D., 2003. Commercial hybrid IR/RF local positioning system, in: KiVS 2003, 13. ITG GIFachtagung Kommunikation in Verteilten Systemen. Kurzbeiträge, Praxisberichte Und Workshop ELearning. pp. 119–127.
- Siemens, E., 2014. Method for lighting e.g. road, involves switching on the lamp on detection of movement of person, and sending message to neighboring lamps through communication unit. DE102010049121 B4
- Srivatsa, D.K., Preethi, B., Parinitha, R., Sumana, G., Kumar, A., 2013. Smart Street Lights, in: India Educators’ Conference (TIIEC), 2013 Texas Instruments. Presented at the India Educators’ Conference (TIIEC), 2013 Texas Instruments, pp. 103–106. doi:10.1109/TIIEC.2013.25
- Standard Development Specification., n.d. Street Lighting Design Guide p 26. [Online], Available from: http://www3.hants.gov.uk/street_lighting_design_guide__4th_edition_.pdf (accessed 15.01.16).
- Sung, W.-T., Lin, J.-S., 2013. Design and Implementation of a Smart LED Lighting System Using a Self Adaptive Weighted Data Fusion Algorithm. Sensors 13, 16915–16939. doi:10.3390/s131216915
- Transport Canberra and City Services, 2007. Design Standards or Urban Infrastructure. Street Lighting, Section 12. Edition 1, Revision 1,
- Yavari, E., Jou, H., Lubecke, V., Boric-Lubecke, O., 2013. Doppler radar sensor for occupancy monitoring, in: 2013 IEEE Topical Conference on Biomedical Wireless Technologies, Networks, and Sensing Systems. Presented at the 2013 IEEE Topical Conference on Biomedical Wireless Technologies, Networks, and Sensing Systems, pp. 139–141. doi:10.1109/BioWireleSS.2013.6613701
- Zappi, P., Farella, E., Benini, L., 2007. Enhancing the spatial resolution of presence detection in a PIR based wireless surveillance network. Presented at the 2007 IEEE Conference on Advanced Video and Signal Based Surveillance, pp. 295–300. doi:10.1109/AVSS.2007.4425326