Proceedings of International Conference on Applied Innovation in IT
2022/03/09, Volume 10, Issue 1, pp.133-142
Learning Management Systems as a Platform for Deployment of Remote and Virtual Laboratory Environments
Anastasiia Sapeha, Aleksandra Zlatkova, Marija Poposka, Filip Donchevski, Kirill Karpov,
Abstract: The constant development in ICT has not omitted the field of learning activities, digitalizing the concept of learning and making it more effective. This became even more obvious during the Covid-19 Pandemic when all educational activities were forced to be transferred remotely and online, with the help of existing Learning Management Systems. Motivated by this, the paper focuses on reviewing different LMSs and comparing their capabilities towards implementation of remote and virtual laboratories, providing analytical and empirical investigations. The goal is to assess the possibility of implementation and deployment of remote access, firstly to some existing on-campus laboratories hosting lab exercises based on real hardware; and secondly to virtual software platforms also usually available in the laboratories. Using such a set up enables the students to get the look and feel of what it means to be in presence in a real lab, nevertheless virtually. This immersive remote lab experience shall hereby be integrated into an already existing and widely used LMS for better operability and manageability. This work has been done in the course of the European project UbiLab (”A ubiquitous virtual laboratory framework”), conducted jointly between the Ss. Cyrill and Methodius University in Skopje, North Macedonia, Anhalt University, Koethen, Germany, and University of Maribor, Slovenia. In the course of the project a remote collaboration platform for hardware-in-the loop will be developed and deployed, and at the same time learning experience in using it in the course of the education process of electrical, system automation, and computer engineers shall be gathered. As an outcome of the work done, it was found that there is no ready-made solution for carrying out remote laboratory work that completely covers the goals of the UbiLab project. Thus, a custom solution based on the compilation of listed platforms components should be developed.
Keywords: LMS, Moodle, Open edX, WebLab-Deusto, RDP, EjS/EjsS, Distance Learning, Remote Laboratory
- Coronavirus response: Extraordinary erasmus+ calls to support digital education readiness and creative skills. [Online]. Available: https://erasmus-plus.ec.europa.eu/news/coronavirusresponse-extraordinary-erasmus-calls-to-supportdigital-education-readiness-and-creative-skills-0.
- I. Gustavsson et al., "On objectives of instructional laboratories, individual assessment, and use of collaborative remote laboratories," IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 263–274,
- D. Galan et al., "Automated assessment of computer programming practices: The 8-years uned experience," IEEE Access, vol. 7, pp. 130 113–130 119, 2019.
- N. Cavus, "Distance learning and learning management systems," Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, vol. 191, pp. 872–877, 2015, the Proceedings of 6th World Conference on educational Sciences. [Online]. Available: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877042815028712.
- Y. Chaabi et al., "Development of a learning analytics extension in open edx," in 2021 International Conference of Modern Trends in Information and Communication Technology Industry (MTICTI), 2021, pp. 1–6.
- P. Orduna et al., "The weblab-deusto remote laboratory management system architecture: Achieving scalability, interoperability, and federation of remote experimentation," in Cyber-Physical Laboratories in Engineering and Science Education, M. Auer et al., Eds. Springer, Cham, 2018, ch. 2, pp. 17–42. [Online]. Available: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-76935-6 2.
- N. Simanullang et al., "Learning management system (lms) based on moodle to improve students learning
- activity," Journal of Physics: Conference Series, vol. 1462, p. 012067, 02 2020.
- N. H. S. Simanullang et al., "Learning management system (LMS) based on moodle to improve students learning activity," Journal of Physics: Conference Series, vol. 1462, no. 1, p. 012067, feb 2020. [Online]. Available: https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1462/1/012067.
- "Open edX Developer’s Guide," Circuit Sub PBLLC, Developer’s Guide, January 2022. [Online]. Available: https://openedx.org/.
- "Open edX Learner’s Guide," Circuit Sub PBLLC, Tech. Rep., February 2022. [Online]. Available: https://openedx.org/.
- J. Garcia-Zubia et al., "Acceptance, usability and usefulness of weblab-deusto from students point of
- view," in 2008 Third International Conference on Digital Information Management, 2008, pp. 899–904.
- J. Garcia-Zubia et al., "Addressing software impact in the design of remote labs," IEEE Transactions on
- Industrial Electronics, vol. 56, p. 4757 – 4767, 12 2009.
- J. Garcia-Zubia et al., "Application and user perceptions of using the weblab-deusto-pld in technical education," in 2011 First Global Online Laboratory Consortium Remote Laboratories Workshop, 2011, pp. 1–6.
- Esquembre et al., "Easy java simulations: A software tool to create scientific simulations in java," Computer Physics Communications, vol. 156, pp. 199–204, 01 2004.
- J. Saenz et al., "Open and low-cost virtual and remote labs on control engineering," IEEE Access, vol. 3, pp. 805–814, 2015.
- D. Chaos et al., "Virtual and remote robotic laboratory using ejs, matlab and labview," Sensors (Basel, Switzerland), vol. 13, pp. 2595–612, 02 2013.
- R. Pastor Vargas, "Web-based virtual lab and remote experimentation using easy java simulations," vol.
- 38, 07 2005, pp. 2289–2289.
- J. Chacon et al., "Enhancing ejss with extension plugins," Electronics, vol. 10, p. 242, 01 2021.
- L. de la Torre Cubillo et al., "Providing collaborative support to virtual and remote laboratories," IEEE
- Transactions on Learning Technologies, 10 2013.
- moodle," in 2016 13th International Conference on Remote Engineering and Virtual Instrumentation (REV), 2016, pp. 260–261.
- Garcia-Zubia et al., "An integrated solution for basics digital electronics: Boole-deusto and weblab-deusto,"
- 02 2013, p. 1–5.
- Call for Papers
- Paper Submission
- Important Dates
- Guest registration
Volume 10, Issue 1 (ICAIIT 2022)
Volume 9, Issue 1 (ICAIIT 2021)
Volume 8, Issue 1 (ICAIIT 2020)
Volume 7, Issue 1 (ICAIIT 2019)
Volume 7, Issue 2 (ICAIIT 2019)
Volume 6, Issue 1 (ICAIIT 2018)
Volume 5, Issue 1 (ICAIIT 2017)
Volume 4, Issue 1 (ICAIIT 2016)
Volume 3, Issue 1 (ICAIIT 2015)
Volume 2, Issue 1 (ICAIIT 2014)
Volume 1, Issue 1 (ICAIIT 2013)
ETHICS IN PUBLICATIONS