Proceedings of International Conference on Applied Innovation in IT
2020/03/10, Volume 8, Issue 1, pp.7-12
Dynamic Real-Time Stream Reservation for IEEE 802.1 Time-Sensitive Networks with OpenFlow
Martin Boehm, Jannis Ohms, Manish Kumar, Olaf Gebauer, Diederich Wermser
Abstract: Industrial network communication requirements are changing within Industry 4.0. Current static industrial networks will require flexibility and need on demand stream r eservation with r eal-time c apabilities. Timesensitive Networking (TSN) offers real-time communication for Ethernet while also providing a mechanism to dynamically request streams (IEEE 802.1Qcc). The standard does not provide concrete specifications for the implementation. This paper evaluates the OpenFlow protocol known from Software-Defined Networking (SDN) for network management in TSN-networks. Requirements for a centralized TSN-controller were identified and OpenFlow has been evaluated if it can fulfill these requirements. An architecture for a TSN-controller has been presented. A proof-of-concept has been implemented and evaluated.
Keywords: Time-Sensitive Networking, Software-Defined Networking, Network Management, Industry 4.0
- M. Wollschlaeger, T. Sauter and J. Jasperneite, “The future of industrial communication: Automation net-works in the era of the internet of things and industry 4.0,” IEEE Industrial Electronics Magazine, vol. 11, no. 1, 2017, pp. 17-27.
- IEEE 802.1 Working Group, “Time-Sensitive Networking (TSN) Task Group”, [Online]. Avaible: https://1.ieee802.org/tsn/.
- “IEEE Standard for Local and Metropolitan Area Networks – Bridges and Bridged Networks – Amendment 31: Stream Reservation Protocol (SRP) Enhancements and Performance Improvements,” IEEE Std 802.1Qcc-2018 (Amendment to IEEE Std 802.1Q-2018 as amended by IEEE Std 802.1Qcp-2018), pp. 1-208, October 2018.
- D. Bruckner, R. Blair, M. Stanica, A. Ademaj, W. Skeffington, D. Kutscher, S. Schriegel, R. Wilmes, K. Wachswender, L. Leurs et al., “Opcua tsn-a new solution for industrial communication,” Whitepaper. Shaper Group, 2018.
- OPC Foundation. Part 14: Pubsub. [Online]. Available: https://opcfoundation.org/developer-tools/specifications-unified-architecture/part-14-pubsub
- Open Networking Foundation. Openflow switch specification version 1.5.1. [Online]. Avail-able: https://www.opennetworking.org/wpcontent/uploads/2014/10/openflow-switch-v1.5.1.pdf
- ONF, “SDN architecture,” Open Networking Foundation, Tech. Rep. Issue 1, TR-502, 2014. [Online]. Available: https://www.opennetworking.org/wpcontent/uploads/2013/02/TR SDN ARCH 1.0 06062014.pdf
- “IEEE Standard for Local and metropolitan area networks – Bridges and Bridged Networks – Amendment 25: Enhancements for Scheduled Traffic,” IEEE Std 802.1Qbv-2015, pp. 1-57, March 2016.
- “IEEE Draft Standard for Local and Metropolitan Area Networks – Timing and Synchronization for Time-Sensitive Applications,” IEEE P802.1AS-Rev/D7.0, March 2018, pp. 1-496, August 2018.
- “IEEE Standard for Local and metropolitan area networks – Frame Replication and Elimination for Reliability,” IEEE Std 802.1CB-2017, pp. 1-102, Oct 2017.
- “IEEE Standard for Local and metropolitan area networks – Bridges and Bridged Networks – Amendment 26: Frame Preemption,” IEEE Std 802.1Qbu-2016 (Amendment to IEEE Std 802.1Q-2014), pp. 1-52, August 2016.
- N.G. Nayak, F. Duerr, and K. Rothermel, “Software-defined Environment for Reconfigurable Manufactur-ing Systems,” in 2015 5th International Conference on the Internet of Things (IOT). IEEE, 2015, pp. 122-129.
- J.L. Du and M. Herlich, “Software-defined Networking for Real-time Ethernet,” in ICINCO (2), 2016, pp. 584-589.
- M. Herlich, J.L. Du, F. Sch¨orghofer and P. Dorfinger, “Proof-of-concept for a Software-defined Realtime Ethernet,” in 2016 IEEE 21st International Conference on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation (ETFA). IEEE, 2016, pp. 1-4.
- W. Wallner and J. Baumgartner, “openpowerlink in linux userspace: Implementation and performance evaluation of the real-time ethernet protocol stack in linux userspace,” in Proc. 13th Real-Time Linux Workshop (RTLWS).(Prague, Czech Republic, 2011, pp. 155-164.
- “IEEE Standard Profile for Use of IEEE 1588 Precision Time Protocol in Power System Applications,” IEEE Std C37.238-2017 (Revision of IEEE Std C37.238-2011), pp. 1-42, June 2017.
- A. Bierman and M. Bjorklund, “Network Configuration Protocol (NETCONF) Access Control Model,” Internet Requests for Comments, RFC Editor, RFC 6536, March 2012.
- S.S. Craciunas, R.S. Oliver, and W. Steiner, “Formal scheduling constraints for time-sensitive networks,” arXiv preprint arXiv:1712.02246, 2017.
- W. Steiner, S. S. Craciunas, and R.S. Oliver, “Traffic planning for time-sensitive communication,” IEEE Communications Standards Magazine, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 42-47, 2018.
- Ryu SDN Framework Community. Ryu sdn framework. [Online]. Available: https://osrg.github.io/ryu/
- B. Pfaff, J. Pettit, T. Koponen, E. J. Jackson, A. Zhou, J. Rajahalme, J. Gross, A. Wang, J. Stringer, P. Shelar et al., “The design and implementation of open vswitch.” in NSDI, vol. 15, 2015, pp. 117-130.
- M. Kumar, M. Boehm, J. Ohms, O. Shulha, and O. Gebauer, “Evaluation of the time-aware priority queueing discipline with regard to time-sensitive networking in particular ieee 802.1 qbv,” in Proceedings of International Conference on Applied Innovation in IT, vol. 7, no. 1. Anhalt University of Applied Sciences, 2019, pp. 1-6.