Proceedings of International Conference on Applied Innovation in IT
2019/10/06, Volume 7, Issue 2, pp.45-50
Analysis of Increasing Efficiency of Gas Turbines by Using Absorption Refrigerator (AR)
Nassipkul Dyussembekova, Andrey Kibarin, Dias Umyshev, Saulesh Minazhova
Abstract: The paper presents an analysis of the gas turbine power plant’s (GTPP) operation. It is shown that in summer the efficiency of GTPP is significantly reduced due to the high air temperature on the inlet of the compressor. In the summer, the efficiency and, accordingly, the production of electric energy is reduced due to high temperatures of the ambient air. This article presents an analysis of the possibility of increasing the efficiency of the gas turbine engine. The analysis shows that the use of absorption refrigerator (AR) in hot periods of the year, in which the outside air temperature exceeds 20 degrees is the optimal solution. The analysis showed that the use of AR allows to increase efficiency and specific heat consumption by 3 %, capacity by 14 % (5,5 % annually) MW and reduce fuel consumption by 2,5-3 %. The experience of modernization of gas turbine unit (GTU) is available, for the installation of AR it will be required about 2500 million tenge (6000 US dollars). Taking into account the economic effect of 740 million tenge, a simple payback period for the introduction of air cooling systems at GTPP will be about 4 years.
Keywords: Ambient Air Temperature, Air Cooling Efficiency, Gas Turbine, Gas Turbine Power Plant
- D.R. Umyshev, N.K. Dyussembekova, A.A. Zhumatova and S.A. Minazhova, “Analysis of the possibility of using solar power plants on the basis of the Stirling engine in Kazakhstan”, Revista Espacios, vol. 40(27), pp.19-26, August 2019.
- S. Nahar, O. Kamal, D. Asmara, S. Mohd, S. Mohd, F. Danny, T. Hong, K. Mohd and K.Y. Yusof, “Feasibility Study of Turbine Inlet Air Cooling using Mechanical Chillers in Malaysia Climate”, Energy Procedia, vol. 138, pp. 558-563, October 2017.
- M.B. Shams, E.M. Elkanzi, Z. Ramadhan, S. Rahma and M. Khamis, “Gas turbine inlet air cooling
- system for enhancing propane recovery in a gas plant: Theoretical and cost analyses”, Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, vol. 43, pp. 22-32, July 2017.
- A.A. El-Shazly, M. Elhelw, M.M. Sorour and W.M. El-Maghlany, “Gas turbine performance enhancement via utilizing different integrated turbine inlet cooling techniques”, Alexandria Engineering Journal, vol. 55 (3), pp. 1903-1914, September 2016.
- A. K. Mohapatra and Sanjay, “Comparative analysis of inlet air cooling techniques integrated to cooled gas turbine plant”, Journal of the Energy Institute, vol. 88 (3), pp. 344-358. August 2015.
- Y.S.H. Najjar and A.M. Abubaker, “Indirect evaporative combined inlet air cooling with gas turbines for green power technology”, International Journal of Refrigeration, vol. 59 (1), pp. 235-250, November 2015.
- A.K. Shukla and O. Singh, “Thermodynamic investigation of parameters affecting the execution of steam injected cooled gas turbine based combined cycle power plant with vapor absorption inlet air cooling”, Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 122, pp. 380-388, July 2017.
- A.K. Shukla and O. Singh, “Performance evaluation of steam injected gas turbine based power plant with inlet evaporative cooling”, Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 102, pp. 454-464, June 2016.
- A.D. Pascale, F. Melino and M. Morini, “Analysis of Inlet Air Cooling for IGCC Power Augmentation”, Energy Procedia, vol. 45, 2014, pp. 1265-1274.
- Y.S.H. Najjar and A.M. Abubaker, “Thermoeconomic analysis and optimization of a novel inlet air cooling system with gas turbine engines using cascaded waste-heat recovery”, Energy, vol. 128, pp. 421-434, June 2017.
- A. Ali, A. Rahmana and M.A. Mokheimer, “Boosting Gas Turbine Combined Cycles in Hot Regions Using Inlet Air Cooling including Solar Energ”, Energy Procedia, vol. 142, pp. 1509-1515, December 2017.
- S. Barakat, A. Ramzy, A.M. Hamed and S.H. El Emam, “Enhancement of gas turbine power output using earth to air heat exchanger (EAHE) cooling system”, Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 111, pp. 137-146, March 2016.
- O.K. Singh, “Performance enhancement of combined cycle power plant using inlet air cooling by exhaust heat operated ammonia-water absorption refrigeration system”, Applied Energy, vol. 180, pp. 867-879, October 2016.
- Y. Huang, L. Chen, X. Huang, X. Du and L. Yang, “Performance of natural draft hybrid cooling system of large scale steam turbine generator unit”, Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 122, pp. 227-244, July 2017.
- H. Atharia, S. Soltani, M.A. Rosen, M.K. Gavifekrd and T. Morosuke, “Exergoeconomic study of gas turbine steam injection and combined power cycles using fog inlet cooling and biomass fuel”, Renewable Energy, vol. 96 (A), pp. 715-726, October 2016.
- The concept of development of the fuel and energy complex of the Republic of Kazakhstan until 2030. Approved by the Decree of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated June 28, no. 724, 2014.
- Yu.M. Pchelkin, “Combustion chambers of gas turbine engines”, Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1984,
- p. 280.
- A. Lefevre, “Processes in the combustion chambers of gas turbine engines”, Moscow: Mir, 1986, p. 566.
- A.M. Dostiyarov, D.R. Umyshev and G.S. Katranova, “Numerical simulation of combustion processes behind blade profiles”, Materails of the 8th International. sci. - practical. Conf. "Academic science - problems and achievements", 2017, pp. 82-87.
- A.M. Dostiyarov, D.R. Umyshev, R.A. Musabekov and A.K. Yamanbekova, “Study of the effect of the output register on combustion processes in the air nozzle stabilizer”, Monthly international scientific journal "European multi science journal", 2017, pp. 73-77.
- A.M. Dostiyarov, D.R. Umyshev, G.S. Katranova and A.K. Yamanbekova, “Combustion chambers and burners of gas turbine plants”, Monography, Publishing House of KATU named after S.Seifullin, 2017, p. 205.
- Water Steam Pro, [Online] Available: www.wsp.ru
- D.R. Umyshev, A.M. Dostiyarov, M.Y. Tumanov and Q. Wang, “Experimental investigation of v-gutter flameholders”, Thermal Science, vol. 2(21), 2017, pp. 1011-1019.
- D.R. Umyshev and A.M. Dostiyarov, “Application of semi perforated v-gutter flameholders in heatgenerating systems for autonomous building heating”, International journal of mechanics and mechanotronics, vol. 16(6), 2016, pp. 63-69.
- D.R. Umyshev, A.M. Dostiyarov, M.E. Tumanov and G.M. Tuytebayeva, “Experimental investigation of recirculation zones behind v-gutter type flameholders”, International Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, vol. 8(4), 2016, pp. 27369-27380.
- D.R. Umyshev, A.M. Dostiyarov and G.M. Tyutebayeva, “Experimental investigation of the management of NOx emissions and their dependence on different types of fuel supply”, Revista Espacios, vol. 38(24), pp. 17-26, April 2017.
- A.M. Dostiyarov, D.R. Umyshev and G.S. Katranova, “Results of investigation of the GTE combustion chamber with a two-stage burner”, Revista Espacios, vol. 39(24), pp. 33-48, May 2018.