Proceedings of International Conference on Applied Innovation in IT
2018/03/13, Volume 6, Issue 1, pp.123-127
The External Mechanical Effects on the Value of Additional Losses in the Telecommunicationsfiber Optic Cables Under Operating Conditions
Ali Mekhtiyev, Felix Bulatbayev, Yelena Neshina, Eduard Siemens,Aliya Alkina, Tatyana Shaigarayeva
Abstract: This article deals with the impact of optical fiber bends on the level of optical losses. The main task of this research was to carry out a series of experiments using the optical time domain reflectometer (OTDR VISA) under field operating conditions for obtaining of optical loss parameter’s dependencies from different bending radii of optical fibers and from the fibers number. We have studied the processes of the occurrence of optical losses in the investigated object and elaborated deterministic models of the physics of the phenomena along with the description undelraying physical processes during the bending. As the outcome of the experiment, a number of dependencies of the optical losses intensity from the number of bends in the fiber, the radii and the wavelength is elaborated. A methodology of the calculation of the signal strength from the number of bends is given. During the work, the excessive losses were noted in case of noncompliance with the installation technology and operating rules. The results of cable research are adopted by Kazakhtelecom JSC.
Keywords: Fiber Optic Cable, Reflectometer (OTDR), Data Loss, Signal Strength
- V.T. Vorob'ev, R.S. Avramenko, V.N. Kozlov, «Research Of Of Signal Attenuation In Fiber-Optic Cable At Cable Line Nonlinear Lining», Vestnik Kostromskogo Gosudarstvennogo universiteta im. N.A. Nekrasova, vol. 3, pp. 8-10, 2011.
- V.K. Kryzhanovskii, V.V. Burlov, A.D. Panimatchenko, Iu.V. Kryzhanovskaia, Technical properties of polymeric materials, Training manual, Sp-B, 2005.
- Kumar V. Fiber optic methane and strain sensors for mines. – Photonics (ICP) International Conference on. 5-7 July 2010, рр.79–84. doi: 10.1109/ICP.2010.5604439
- Kim S.T., Park Y.-H., Park S.Y., Cho K., Cho J.-R. A sensor-type PC strand with an embedded FBG sensor for monitoring prestress forces. – Sensors (Switzerland), 2015, v.15,No 1, рр.1060–1070. doi: 10.3390/s150101060.
- Liu T., Wei Y., Song G., Li Y., Wang J., Ning Y., Lu Y. Advances of optical fiber sensors for coal mine safety monitoring applications. – Proceedings of the 2013 International Conference on Microwave and Photonics, 2013, рр.102–111.
- Yiming Zhao, Nong Zhang,1 and Guangyao Si. A fiber bragg grating-based monitoring system for roof safety control in underground coal mining. – Sensors (Switzerland), 2016, v. 16, No10, рр. 112-117. doi:10.3390/s16101759.
- Chunde Piao, Jun Yuan, Bin Shi, Haijun Lu, Guangqing Wei, Chunsheng Gu Application of distributed optical fiber sensing technology in the anomaly detection of shaft lining in grouting. – Journal of Sensors, 2015, v.2015, рр. 163–169.
- Liu X., Wang C., Liu T., Wei Y., Lv J., Fiber Grating Water pressure sensor and system for mine. – ACTA Photonica Sinica, 2009, v. 38, pp. 112–114.
- Kumar Atul, Kumar Dheeraj, Singh U.K., Gupta P.S., Shankar Gauri Optimizing fibre optics for coal mine automation. – International Journal of Control and Automation, 2011, v.3, рр. 63–70.
- Naruse H., Uehara H., Deguchi T., Fujihashi K., Onishi M., Espinoza R., Pinto M. Application of a distributed fibre optic strain sensing system to monitoring changes in the state of an underground mine. – Measurement Science and Technology, 2007, v.18, No 10, рр. 3202–3210. doi: 10.1088/0957-0233/18/10/S23.
- A.V. Yurchenko, N.I. Gorlov, A.D. Alkina, A.D. Mekhtiev, A.A. Kovtun, «Research of the additional losses occurring in optical fiber at its multiple bends in the range waves 1310nm, 1550nm and 1625nm long», Journal of Physics: Conference Series, vol. 671, 2016.
- I.A. Ovchinnikova, P.A. Semenov, «Investigations of the influence of external factors on the elements of optical cable designs // Cables and wires, vol. 3, pp. 8-9, 2009.
- M.M. Protod'iakonov, The method of rational planning of experiments, Moscow: Publishing house "Science", 1970.