Proceedings of International Conference on Applied Innovation in IT
2018/03/13, Volume 6, Issue 1, pp.45-50
Synchronized Control of Four or More Stepper Motors for Computer Numerical Controled Machines and 3D Printers
Rustam Nikola Jovanovski, Josif Kjosev
Abstract: A simple and effective algorithm for synchronized control of four or more stepper motors for computer numerical control machines is presented. Advantages and disadvantages of stepper and servo motors for CNC machines are discussed. Various control topologies for stepper motors are analyzed. Different types of stepper motor drivers and their characteristics are explained. The main emphasis is on the algorithm for synchronous control of multiple motors. The mathematical background for moving functions is explained in context of an overall 3D printing process. A practical implementation of the algorithm is evaluated. Possible directions for further research in this area are pointed.
Keywords: CNC machine, CNC machining, CNC milling machine, 3D printer, 3D printing, Stepper motor control
- Paulo Augusto Sherring da Rocha Junior,Rogerio Diogne de Silva e Souza, Maria Emilia de Lima Tostes, “Prototype CNC Machine Design”, 10.1109/INDUSCON.2010.5740068.
- J.M. Rosario, L.K. Rincon, D.Kubiak, D. Dumur, L.F.Melo, “Actuator Selection of CNC Machine Tool Based in Dynamical Modeling and Control”, International Symposium on Power Electronics, Electrical Drives, Automation and Motion, 2014.
- Dev P. Desai, Dr. D.M. Patel, “Design of Control Unit for CNC Machine Tool using Arduino based Embedded System”, International Conference on Smart Techologies and Management for Computing, Communication, Controls, Energy and Materials (ICSTM), India, 6-8 May 2015, pp. 443-448.
- Industrial Circuits Application Note Stepper Motor Basics, http://www.solarbotics.net/library/pdflib/pdf/ motorbas.pdf.
- Nikola Jovanovski, Josif Kjosev, “Hardware and Software aspects of 3D printers”, International Conference ETAI, 2016.
- Suk-Hwan Suh, Seong-Kyoon Kang, Dae-Hyuk Chung, Ian Stroud, “Theory and design of CNC Systems, 2008 Springer-Verlag London Limited.
- Jacob Bayless, Mo Chen, Bing Dai, “Wire Embedding 3D Printer”, Engineering Physics, University of British Columbia, April 12, 2010.
- Jonathan Heathcote, “Improving the Makerbot 3D Printer”, University of Manchester, School of Computer Science, Project Report 2012.
- Thomas Hopkins, Aplication note, Stepper motor driving, http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/ technical/document/application_note/57/c8/7c/c1/0d/91/46/89/CD00003774.pdf/files/CD00003774.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.CD00003774.pdf.
- Wantai Motor, DQ860MA, PWM currrent control, https://factorydaily.com/fdattachs/fdattachs7/112716014424312.pdf.
- HY-DIV268N-5A two phase hybrid stepper motor drive manual, http://wiki.kreitek.org/media/ proyectos:cnc:div268n-5a-datasheet.pdf.
- Executive Perspectives “Accelerating the Next Industrial Revolution”, https://spare-parts-3d.com/2017/04/18/3d-printing-key-driver-4th-industrial-revolution-hp-ceo/
- Eaton Logic Controller Programming Manual, http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@electrical/documents/content/mn05003003e.pdf
- Ericsson, Industrial Circuits Application Note, Microstepping, http://users.ece.utexas.edu/
- Plastic Scribbler, Printing the Future in 3D (Pronterface tutorial), http://www.plasticscribbler. com/tutorial/getting-started/item/21-getting-started-with-pronterface#.WlGh4oWcEwE