Proceedings of International Conference on Applied Innovation in IT
2014/03/27, Volume 1, Issue 2, pp.49-56
Parallel Architecture Prototype for 60 GHz High Data Rate Wireless Single Carrier Receiver
Tatjana Chavdarova, Aristotel Tentov, Marija Kalendar
Abstract: Nowadays a huge attention of the academia and research teams is attracted to the potential of the usage of the 60 GHz frequency band in the wireless communications. The use of the 60GHz frequency band offers great possibilities for wide variety of applications that are yet to be implemented. These applications also imply huge implementation challenges. Such example is building a high data rate transceiver which at the same time would have very low power consumption. In this paper we present a prototype of Single Carrier - SC transceiver system, illustrating a brief overview of the baseband design, emphasizing the most important decisions that need to be done. A brief overview of the possible approaches when implementing the equalizer, as the most complex module in the SC transceiver, is also presented. The main focus of this paper is to suggest a parallel architecture for the receiver in a Single Carrier communication system. This would provide higher data rates that the communication system can achieve, for a price of higher power consumption. The suggested architecture of such receiver is illustrated in this paper, giving the results of its implementation in comparison with its corresponding serial implementation.
Keywords: 60 GHz, millimeter wave, single carrier, VHDL implementation, frequency domain equalization, wireless personal area network
- S. Yong, P. Xia, and A. Valdes-Garcia, “60 GHz technology for Gbps WLAN and WPAN: from theory to practice,” ISBN 9780470972939, 2011.
- Agilent Technologies, “Wireless LAN at 60 GHz – IEEE 802.11ad Explained : Application Note,” 5990-9697EN, USA, 2013.
- J. Park, B. Richards, and B. Nikolic, “A 2-Gb/s 5.6-mW Digital Equalizer for a LOS/NLOS Receiver in the 60GHz Band,” IEEE Asian Solid-State Circuits Conference, China, Nov. 2010.
- S. Binggeli, “Fractionally Spaced Equalizer for NLOS Receiver in the 60 GHz Band,” Master Thesis, Berkeley University of California, 2011.
- M. G. Parker, K. G. Patersony, and C. Tellamburaz, “Golay Complementary Sequences,” Jan. 2004.
- T. Chavdarova, G. Jakimovski, B. Jovanov, A. Tentov, and M. Malenko, “Analysis and implementation of frequency domain equalizer for single carrier system in the 60 GHz band,” presented at 9th Annual International Joint Conferences on Computer, Information, Systems Sciences, and Engineering, CISSE Online Econference, Dec. 12-14 2013 (to be published).
- IEEE P802.11 Wireless LANs, “Complete Proposal for 802.11ad,” doc: IEEE 802.11-10-0499-02-00ad, May 2010.
- IEEE 802.15.3c (2009), “IEEE Standard for information technology – Telecommunications and information exchange between systems – Local and metropolitan area networks – Specific requirements. Part 15.3: Wireless medium access control (MAC) and physical layer (PHY) specifications for high rate wireless personal area networks (WPANs) Amendment 2: Millimeter-wave-based alternative physical layer extension,” [Online]. Available: http://www.ieee802.org/15/
- Scott Foster, “Impulse Response Measurement Using Golay Codes,” Trans, ICASSP ’86, pp.929-932, 1986. [Online]. Available: http://www.researchgate.net/publication/224737472_Impulse_response_measurement_using_Golay_codes
- Á. Hernández, J. Ureña, D. Hernanz, J. J. García, M. Mazo, J. Dérutin, J. Serot, and S. E. Palazuelos, “Real-time implementation of an efficient Golay correlator (EGC) applied to ultrasonic sensorial systems,” March 27 2003. [Online]. Available: http://www.geintrauah.org/system/files/private/a2003.pdf
- National Instruments, “What is I/Q Data?” Sep 12, 2013. [Online]. Available: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4805/en/
- Fung, Andy W. Y., “Suboptimal soft-bit level demapper for M-QAMOFDM systems,” Hong Kong, Dec. 2010.
- C. Langton, “Inter Symbol Interference (ISI) and raised cosine filtering,” 2002.
- H. Xu, V. Kukshya, and T.S Rappaport, “Spatial and temporal characteristics of 60-GHz indoor channels,” IEEE J. Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 20, pp.620-620, Mar.2002.
- F. Hsiao, A. Tang, D. Yang, M. Pham, M. F. Chang, “A 7Gb/s SCFDE/OFDM MMSE Equalizer for 60GHz Wireless Communications,” IEEE Asian Solid-State Circuits Conference, Korea, Nov. 2011.
- Miloš Krstić, Maxim Piz, Marcus Ehrig, Eckhard Grass, “OFDM Datapath Baseband Processor for 1 Gbps Datarate,” IHP, Im Technologiepark 25, Frankfurt, Germany.
- Somasundaram Meiyappan, “Implementation and performance evaluation of parallel FFT algorithms,” Matriculation No.:HT023601A, National University of Singapore, Singapore.
- K. Takeda and F. Adachi, “Frequency-Domain MMSE Channel Estimation for Frequency-Domain Equalization of DS-CDMA Signals,” IEICE Trans. Communications, vol. E920-B, pp1746-1753, July 2007.