Proceedings of International Conference on Applied Innovation in IT
2014/03/27, Volume 2, Issue 1, pp.29-35
Implementation of Multi-Core Processor Based on PLASMA (most MIPS I) IP Core
Bojan Gruevski, Aristotel Tentov, Marija Kalendar
Abstract: Multi-core processors is a design philosophy that has become mainstream in scientific and engineering applications. Increasing performance and gate capacity of recent FPGA devices has permitted complex logic systems to be implemented on a single programmable device. By using VHDL here we present an implementation of one multi-core processor by using the PLASMA IP core based on the (most) MIPS I ISA and give an overview of the processor architecture and share the execution results.
Keywords: FPGA, multi-core processor, MIPS, PLASMA, core, implementation, architecture, design
- M. J. Flynn, “Computer Architecture: Pipelined and Parallel Processor Design,”. Jones & Bartlett Learning, Sudbury, Massachusetts, 1995.
- J. L. Hennessy, D. A. Patterson, “Computer Architecture - A Quantitative Approach,” 4th Edition. Morgan Kaufman Publishers, Burlington, Massachusetts, 2007.
- A. S. Tanenbaum, “Modern Operating Systems,” 2nd edition. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, 2002.
- Plasma – most MIPS I (TM) opcodes: Overview [Online]. Available: http://opencores.org/project,plasma,overview, (October, 2013)
- MIPS M51xx Warrior-M class CPU Core [Online]. Available: http://www.mips.com/, (November, 2013)
- Xilinx [Online]. Available: http://www.xilinx.com/, (October, 2013)
- Altera [Online]. Available: http://www.altera.com/, (October, 2013)
- David A. Patterson, John L. Hennessy, “Computer Organization and Design - The Hardware/Software Interface”, 3rd Edition. Morgan Kaufman Publishers, Burlington, Massachusetts, 2005.
- J. M. Rabaey, Anantha Chandrakasan, and Borivoje Nikolic “Digital Integrated Circuits - A Design Perspective”, 2nd Edition, Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, 2002.
- D. Silva, K. Stangherlin, L. Bolzani, F. Vargas, “A Hardware-Based Approach to Improve the Reliability of RTOS-Based Embedded Systems,” IEEE Computer Society, 2011, p. 209.
- J. Tarrillo, L. Bolzani, and F. Vargas, “A Hardware-Scheduler for Fault Detection in RTOS-Based Embedded Systems,” Digital System Design, Architectures, Methods and Tools, 2009, pp. 341 – 347.