Proceedings of International Conference on Applied Innovation in IT
2014/03/27, Volume 2, Issue 1, pp.21-27
Comparison of Contemporary Protocols for High-speed Data Transport via 10 Gbps WAN Connections
Dmitry Kachan, Eduard Siemens
Abstract: This work is dedicated to comparison of open source as well as proprietary transport protocols for highspeed data transmission via IP networks. The contemporary common TCP needs significant improvement since it was developed as general-purpose transport protocol and firstly introduced four decades ago. In nowadays networks, TCP fits not all communication needs that society has. Caused of it another transport protocols have been developed and successfully used for e.g. Big Data movement. In scope of this research the following protocols have been investigated for its efficiency on 10Gbps links: UDT, RBUDP, MTP and RWTP. The protocols were tested under different impairments such as Round Trip Time up to 400 ms and packet losses up to 2%. Investigated parameters are the data rate under different conditions of the network, the CPU load by sender and receiver during the experiments, size of feedback data, CPU usage per Gbps and the amount of feedback data per GiByte of effectively transmitted data. The best performance and fair resources consumption was observed by RWTP. From the open source projects, the best behavior is showed by RBUDP.
Keywords: high-speed data transport, transport protocol, WAN acceleration, big data.
- D. Kachan, E. Siemens, V. Shuvalov, "Comparison of Contemporary Solutions for High Speed Data Transport on WAN 10 Gbit/s Connections," Journal of Communication and Computer, vol. 10, Nr. 6, pp. 783-795, 06 2013.
- Tixel GmbH, Tixel, [Online]. Available: http://www.tixeltec.com/ps_tixstream_en.html. [Accessed 20 10 2012].
- S. Höhlig, “Optimierter Dateitranfer über 100 Gigabit/s,” In Proceeding of the 100 Gigabit/s Workshop in Mannheim, September 2011.
- R. L. Grossman, Y. Gu, X. Hong, A. Antony, J. Blom, F. Dijkstra, C. de Laat, "Teraflows over Gigabit WANs with UDT," Journal of Future Computer Systems, pp. 501-513, 2005.
- R. L. G. Y. Gu, “UDP-based datatransfer for high-speed wide area networks,” Computer Networks, vol. 51, no. issue 7, pp. 1465-1480, May 2007.
- L. Herr, M. Kresek, "Building a New User Community for Very High Quality Media Applications On Very High Speed Networks," GLIF 2008, 1 10 2008. [Online]. Available: http://czechlight.cesnet.cz/documents/publications/networkarchitecture/2008/krsek-cinegrid.pdf. [Accessed 05 02 2013].
- V. Paxson, “End-to-End Internet Packet Dynamics,” Networking, IEEE/ACM Transactions, vol. 7, no. Issue 3, pp. 277-292, 1999.
- Y. A. Wang, C. Huang, J. Li, K. W. Ross, “Queen: Estimating Packet Loss Rate between Arbitrary Internet Hosts,” Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Passive and Active Network Measurement, pp. 57-66, 2009.
- B. W. Settlemyer, N. S. V. Rao, S. W. Poole, S. W. Hodson, S. E. Hick, P. M. Newman, “Experimental analysis of 10Gbps transfers over physical and emulated dedicated connections,” proceeding of Computing, Networking and Communications (ICNC), pp. 845-850, 2012.
- Apposite Technologies, "Apposite," [Online]. Available: http://www.apposite-tech.com/index.html. [Accessed 20 10 2012].
- A. Jurgelionis, J.-P. Laulajainen, M. i. Hirvonen, and A. I. Wang, “An Empirical Study of NetEm Network Emulation Functionalities,” 20. ICCCN, no. ISBN 978-1-4577-0637-0, pp. 1-6, 2011.
- R. G. Y. Gu, "Udt: a high performance data transport protocol," Doctoral Dissertation, University of Illinois, Chicago, 2005.
- E. He, J. Leigh, O. Yu, and T. A. DeFanti, "Reliable Blast UDP : Predictable High Performance Bulk Data Transfer," Proceedings of IEEE Cluster Computing, pp. 317-324, Sept. 2002.
- Data Expedition, Inc, “Data Expedition,” [Online]. Available: http://www.dataexpedition.com/downloads/DEI-WP.pdf. [Accessed 25 10 2012].
- Tixel GmbH, “White Papers and Reports,” [Online]. Available: http://www.tixeltec.com/papers_en.html. [Accessed 15 11 2012].
- Tixel GmbH., “Tixel news,” [Online]. Available: http://www.tixeltec.com/news_en.html. [Accessed 20 10 2012].
- R. L. G. Y. Gu, "UDTv4: Improvements in Performance and Usability," in Networks for Grid Applications, Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering, 2 ed., Berlin Heidelberg, Springer, 2009, p. 9.
- E. Siemens, S. Piger, C. Grimm, M. Fromme., "LTest – A Tool for Distributed Network Performance Measurement," Proc. Consumer Communications and Networking Conference, 2004. First IEEE, pp. 239-244, 2004.
- E. S. D. Kachan, "AvBandTest - a Testing Tool for Implementations of Available Band width Estimation Algorithms," in Proceedings of 1st International Conference on Applied Innovations in IT, Kothen, 2013.