Proceedings of International Conference on Applied Innovation in IT
2013/03/25, Volume 1, Issue 1, pp.31-34
Influence of Jitter on Reliable Multicast Data Transmission Rate in Terms of CDN Networks
Aleksandr Bakharev, Eduard Siemens
Abstract: This paper devotes to evaluation of performance bottlenecks and algorithm deficiencies in the area of contemporary reliable multicast networking. Hereby, the impact of packet delay jitter on the end-to-end performance of multicast IP data transport is investigated. A series of tests with two most significant open-source implementations of reliable multicast is performed and analyzed. These are: UDPbased File Transfer Protocol (UFTP) and NACK-oriented Reliable multicast (NORM). Tests were targeted to simulate scenario of content distribution in WAN sized Content Delivery Networks (CDN). Then, results were grouped and averaged, by round trip time and packet losses. This enabled us to see jitter influence independently on round trip time (RTT) and packet loss rates. Revealed jitter influence for different network conditions. Confirmed, that appearance of even small jitter causes significant data rate reduction.
Keywords: jitter, reliable multicast, CDN
- C. Demichelis and P. Chimento, “IP Packet Delay Variation Metric for IP Performance Metrics”, RFC 3393, 2002.
- H. Schulzrinne, S. Casne, and R. Frederick, “RTP: A Transport Protocol for Real-Time Applications,” RFC-3550, 2003.
- Javed I. Khan and Raid Y. “Jitter and Delay Reduction for Time Sensitive Elastic Traffic for TCP-interactive based World Wide Video Streaming over ABone”, Proceedings of the 12th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks, ICCCN 2003, Dallas, Texas, October 2003, pp.311-318.
- E.Siemens and A. Bakharev, “Evaluation of Reliable Multicast Implementations with Proposed Adaptation for Delivery of Big Data in Wide Area Networks”, Accepted for publishing in the proceedings of ICNS 2013, March, Lisbon, 2013.
- E.Siemens and D. Kachan, “Comparison of contemporary solutions for high speed data transport on WAN connections”. Accepted for publishing in the proceedings of ICNS 2013, Lisbon, 2013.
- Apposite Technologies home page. http://www.apposite-tech.com. [retrieved: March 2013]
- B. Adamson and C. Bormann, “NACK-Oriented Reliable Multicast (NORM) Transport Protocol”, RFC-5740, 2009..
- Naval Research Laboratory. http://www.nrl.navy.mil/. [retrieved: March 2013]
- T. Speakman, J. Crowcroft, and J. Gemmell, “PGM Reliable Transport Protocol Specification”, RFC-3208, 2001.
- Internet-draft, StarBurst Multicast File Transfer Protocol (MFTP) Specification. http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-miller-mftp-spec-02.[retrieved: March 2013]
- UFTP - Encrypted UDP based FTP with multicast. http://www.tcnj.edu/
- R. Kermode and L. Vicisano, “Author Guidelines for Reliable Multicast Transport (RMT) Building Blocks and Protocol Instantiation documents”, RFC-3269. Vicisano, R. Kermode and L. 2002.