Proceedings of International Conference on Applied Innovation in IT
2019/03/06, Volume 7, Issue 1, pp.19-22
Efficiency of BQL Congestion Control under High Bandwidth-Delay Product Network Conditions
Nikolai Mareev, Dmitry Kachan, Kirill Karpov, Dmytro Syzov, Eduard Siemens
Abstract: BQL congestion control is aimed to utilize full available bottleneck bandwidth while keeping bottleneck buffer queue load on some low level to prevent it from producing avoidable additional delays or delay jitter. In this paper, an intermediate result of research in delay-based congestion control is presented. Using RMDT protocol we have evaluated its performance under high bandwidth delay product network conditions and compared it with TCP BBR using the iperf utility. High bottleneck bandwidth utilization in a wide area of delay/bandwidth/loss conditions have been reached. Some performance issues of BBR in some cases has also been observed and investigated.
Keywords: Long Fat Networks, Transport Protocol, IP Networks, High-Speed Network, Congestion Control
- E. Siemens, D. Syzov, D. Kachan High-speed UDP Data Transmission with Multithreading and Automatic Resource Allocation Proc. of: the 4th International Conference on Applied Innovations in IT, (ICAIIT 2016), pp. 51-56, Koethen, 2016.
- S. Maksymov, D. Kachan, E. Siemens Connection Establishment Algorithm for Multi-destination Protocol Proc. of: the 2nd International Conference on Applied Innovations in IT, (ICAIIT 2014), pp. 57-60, Koethen, 2014.
- N. Mareev, D. Kachan, K. Karpov, D. Syzov, E. Siemens, and Y. Babich, “Efficiency of a PID-based Congestion Control for High-speed IP-networks,” Proc. of: the 6th International Conference on Applied Innovations in IT, (ICAIIT 2018), pp. 1-5, Koethen, 2018.
- N. Cardwell, Y. Cheng, C. S. Gunn, S. H. Yeganeh, and Van Jacobson, “BBR: congestion-based congestion control,” Communications of the ACM, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 58-66, Jan. 2017.
- M. Hock, R. Bless, and M. Zitterbart, “Experimental evaluation of BBR congestion control,” in 2017 IEEE 25th International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP), 2017, pp. 1-10.
- K. Miyazawa, K. Sasaki, N. Oda, and S. Yamaguchi, “Cyclic Performance Fluctuation of TCP BBR,” in 2018 IEEE 42nd Annual Computer Software and Applications Conference (COMPSAC), 2018, vol. 01, pp. 811-812.
- E. Atxutegi, F. Liberal, H. K. Haile, K. Grinnemo, A. Brunstrom, and A. Arvidsson, “On the Use of TCP BBR in Cellular Networks,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 172–179, Mar, 2018.
- D. Scholz, B. Jaeger, L. Schwaighofer, D. Raumer, F. Geyer, and G. Carle, “Towards a Deeper Understanding of TCP BBR Congestion Control,” IFIP Networking 2018, pp. 109-117, Zurich, Switzerland, May, 2018.