Proceedings of International Conference on Applied Innovation in IT
2020/03/10, Volume 8, Issue 1, pp.41-48
The Possibilities for Deployment Eco-Friendly Indoor Wireless Networks Based on LiFi Technology
Oleksandr Romanov, Thi Tho Dong, Mikola Nesterenko
Abstract: Recently, traffic demand for wireless data has increased the need for extending the spectrum to transmit numerous signals. However, the bandwidth of radio waves has been scrunching in the last few years with tremendous development of technology such as 4G, 5G, Internet of Thing (IoT) and so on. Therefore, in a few recent years, LiFi technology which is considered a complement solution for radio frequency technology has attracted a lot of attention in scientific community. LiFi, which is a part of optical wireless communication (OWC), employs visible light from the green and eco-friendly light emitting diode (LED) to forward signals. In addition, LiFi is best-known for high-speed, bi-directional connection, save energy, security network, and safe for human. Because of the potential advantages that LiFi benefits in, we investigated to analyze the possibility to deploy indoor wireless networks based on LiFi technology with the existing infrastructure of LEDs and PoE cables. Moreover, in this study, we proposed the wireless network model in a typical office with nine LED luminaires positioned in the center of the room ceiling that support to intensify the illumination and communication in an entire room. Additionally, the received power of optical signals and signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) level in the proposed model were calculated and simulated with the MATLAB program. The study of these parameters advocates deploying the network system more effectively.
Keywords: Optical Wireless Communication (OWC), Light Fidelity (LiFi), LEDs, PoE, Possibility to Deploy Indoor Wireless Networks, Optical Received Power, Light-of-Sight (LoS), SNR
- А Cisco Visual Networking Index: Global MobileData Traffic Forecast Update, pp. 2017-2022.
- M. Ayyash, H. Elgala, A. Khreishah, V. Jungnickel,Th. Little, S. Shao, M. Rahaim, D. Schulz, J. Hilt,and R. Freund, “Coexistence of WiFi and LiFiToward 5G: Concepts, Opportunities, andChallenges”, IEEE Communications Magazine,February 2016.
- H. Haas, “LiFi is a paradigm-shifting 5Gtechnology”, Reviews in Physics,Volume 3, pp. 26-31, November 2018.
- O.I. Romanov, Y.S. Hordashnyk and T.T. Dong,“Method for calculating the energy loss of a lightsignal in a telecommunication Li-Fi system”,International Conference on Information andTelecommunication Technologies and RadioElectronics, IEEE Xplore Digital Library, doi:10.1109/ UkrMiCo.2017.8095404), pp. 1-7,September 2017.
- S. Dimitrov, German Aerospace Center (DLR),Harald Has, “Principles of LED Light Communications Towards Networked Li-Fi”, Cambridge University Press 2015.
- Harald Haas, Liang Yin, Yunlu Wang, and ChengChen, “What is LiFi?”, Journal of lightwavetechnology, 2015, pp. 8724-8733.
- P. Morgan Pattison, Monica Hansen, NormanBardsley, Lisa Pattison, “2017 DOE SSL R&DPlan”, Technical Report, September 2017.
- S. Scace, “PureLiFi shows laptop powered byGigabit LiFi speeds at Mobile World Congress”,February 2019.
- IEEE P802.11 - Light Communication (LC), TaskGroup (TG).
- G. Cossu, et al., “3.4 Gbit/s visible optical wirelesstransmission based on RGB LED”, ©2012 OpticalSociety of America,vol. 20, no. 26, December 2012.
- D. Tsonev, S. Videv, H. Haas, “Towards a 100 Gb/svisible light wireless access network”, Opt. Expressvol. 23 (2), 2015, pp. 1627-1637.
- Taylor Francis Group, “Optical WirelessCommunications System and Channel Modellingwith MATLAB®”,CRC Press 2013, 13:978-1-4398-5235-4.
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers(IEEE), Standard for Local Area Networks, 802.15.7IEEE, 2011.
- A. Burton, H. Le Minh, Z. Ghasemlooy andS.Rajbhandari, “A Study of LED LuminationUniformity with Mobility for Visible LightCommunications”, in Proceedings of theInternational Workshop on Optical WirelessCommunications (IWOW), 2012.
- O.I. Romanov, M.M. Nesterenko, L.A. Veres,Y.S. Hordashnyk, “IMS: Model and calculationmethod of telecommunication network's capacity”,International Conference on Information andTelecommunication Technologies and RadioElectronics, IEEE Xplore Digital Library, doi:10.1109/UkrMiCo.2017.8095412), pp. 1-4,September 2017.
- M.A. Skulysh, O.I. Romanov, L.S. Globa and I.I.Husyeva, “Managing the process of servicing hybridtelecommunications services”. Quality Control andInteraction Procedure of Service Subsystems.In International Multi-Conference on AdvancedComputer Systems, Springer, Cham, pp. 244-256,September 2018.
- M. Skulysh and O. Romanov. “The structure of amobile provider network with network functionsvirtualization”. 14th International Conference onAdvanced Trends in Radioelecrtronics,Telecommunications and Computer Engineering(TCSET). IEEE, 2018. pp. 1032-1034.doi: 10.1109/TCSET.2018.8336370.
- L. Globa, M. Skulysh, O. Romanov and M.Nesterenko, “Quality Control for MobileCommunication Management Services in HybridEnvironment”. In The International Conference onInformation and Telecommunication Technologiesand Radio Electronics, Springer, Cham, pp. 76-100,November 2018.
- M. Skulysh, “The method of resources involvementscheduling based on the long-term statistics ensuringquality and performance parameters”. InternationalConference on Information and TelecommunicationTechnologies and Radio Electronics (UkrMiCo).IEEE, 2017. pp. 1-4.
- L. Globa, M. Skulysh, A. Zastavenko, “The methodof resources allocation for processing requests inonline charging system”. In: The Experience ofDesigning and Application of CAD Systems inMicroelectronics. IEEE, 2015, pp. 211-213.