Proceedings of International Conference on Applied Innovation in IT
2018/03/13, Volume 6, Issue 1, pp.117-122
Experiences Implementing QoS Aware Routing on Off-the-shelf SDN Switches
Jannis Ohms, Olaf Gebauer, Nadiia Kotelnikova, Marina Arikova and Diederich Wermser
Abstract: This paper provides an overview of the Quality of Service (QoS) capabilities defined in the OpenFlow specification. Several vendor documentations from off-the-shelf products are compared with the OpenFlow specification. This research reveals inconsistencies between the specification and the vendors implementation. Queues for examples are not implemented by all vendors. This gap can lead to interoperability problems in a network while using hardware from different vendors. The research also shows, that the majority of vendors provide a port statistic function which gives information about incoming and outgoing bandwidth about each port of a switch. Based on this function a QoS aware routing application for off-the-shelf switches is proposed. This concept can be used to change the flow of traffic in an OpenFlow network based on the utilization of the interfaces. Based on the conducted research, the application can be used with hardware from multiple vendors. This paper does not contain a quantitative evaluation of the implemented application.
Keywords: SDN, OpenFlow, Routing, QoS
- Open Networking Foundation, „OpenFlow Switch Specification Version 1.3.5 ( Protocol version 0x04),“ [Online] Available: https://3vf60mmveq1g8vzn48q2o71a-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wpcontent/uploads/2014/10/openflow-switch-v1.3.5.pdf.
- A. S. Tanenbaum und D. Wetherall, Computer networks, Prentice hall, 1996.
- J. Ohms, O. Gebauer, N. Kotelnikova, D. Wermser und E. Siemens, “Providing of QoS-Enabled Flows in SDN Exemplified by VoIP Traffic,” 5th International Conference on Applied Innovations in IT, 2017.
- J. W. Guck, A. van Bemten, M. Reisslein und W. Kellerer, “Unicast QoS routing algorithms for SDN,“ IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, 2017.
- H. Zhang und J. Yan, “Performance of SDN routing in comparison with legacy routing protocols,” In Cyber-Enabled Distributed Computing and Knowledge Discovery (CyberC), 2015.
- Y. Jinyao, Z. Hailong, S. Qianjun, L. Bo und G. Xiao, “HiQoS An SDN-based multipath QoS solution,“ China Communications, Bd. 12, Nr. 5, p. 123–133, 2015.
- J. L. Valenzuela, A. Monleon, I. San Esteban, M. Portoles und O. Sallent, “A hierarchical token bucket
- algorithm to enhance QoS,” in IEEE 802.11, In Vehicular Technology Conference, VTC2004-Fall. 2004 IEEE 60th (Vol. 4, pp. 2659-2662), 2004.
- Project Floodlight, “Floodlight OpenFlow Controller,“ [Online] Available: http://www.projectfloodlight.org/floodlight/.
- P. Bosshart, D. Daly, G. Gibb, M. Izzard, N. McKeown, J. Rexford, C. Schlesinger, D. Talayco, A. Vahdat und G. Varghese, “P4 Programming protocol-independent packet processors,“ ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, Bd. 44, Nr. 3, p. 87–95, 2014.
- Hewlett Packard, “HP Switch Software OpenFlow Administrator's Guide K/KA/WB 15.1,“ [Online] Available: http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03991489-1.pdf.
- Brocade, “Brocade NetIron Software Defined Networking (SDN) Configuration Guide,“ [Online] Available: http://www.brocade.com/cotent/html/en/configuration-guide/NI_05800a_SDN/GUID-4C86703D-AF09-43B0-8DCA-8402D65624B0.html.
- Juniper Networks, “OpenFlow Support on Juniper Networks Devices,“ [Online] Available: https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/reference/general/junossdn-openflow-supported-platforms.html.
- Pica8, “PicOS Open vSwitch Configuration Guide,“ [Online] Available: http://www.pica8.com/wpcontent/ uploads/2015/09/v2.9/html/ovsconfiguration-guide/.
- D. Wermser und O. Gebauer, “NaaS as Business Concept and SDN as Technology – How do They Interrelate,” 20. ITG-Fachtagung, 2015.