Proceedings of International Conference on Applied Innovation in IT
2017/03/16, Volume 5, Issue 1, pp.51-55
Innovating Information System Development Methodologies with Design Thinking
Gerhard Steinke, Meshal Shams Al-Deen, Ryan LaBrie
Abstract: Design thinking has emerged as a means of solving problems by focusing on the perspective of the customer to better determine the user’s application requirements. A major complaint with the Waterfall System Development Methodology is the difficulty gathering all requirements up front prior to development, making it hard to implement customer change requests later in the development cycle. Alternatively, the Agile Development Methodology allows for constant system revisions and improvements, potentially making it hard to budget and plan for the completion of a system. This paper looks at integrating Design Thinking into the traditional Waterfall and Agile system development methodologies. Using the Design Thinking components of empathize, define, ideate, prototype, and test leads to improvement of both the developer and customer experience.
Keywords: Design Thinking, Waterfall System Development Methodology, Agile Development
- Bell, T., Thayer, T., 1976. Software requirements: Are they really a problem? In Proceedings of the 2nd international conference on Software engineering. IEEE Computer Society Press.
- Cicoria, S., Sherlock, J., Clarke, L., Muniswamaiah, M., 2013. IDEO and Design Thinking as an Agile Innovation Practice. [Online]. Available from:http://csis.pace.edu/ctappert/dps/d891b-14/Agile4.pdf 2017.01.24.
- Dam, R., Siang, T., 2016. 5 Stages in the Design Thinking Process. [Online]. Available from: https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/article/5-stages-in-the-design-thinking-process/ 2016.12.09.
- Daniel, K., 2015. How to Run an Agile Project in Government. [Online]. Available from: https://www.digitalgov.gov/2015/01/16/how-to-runan-agile-project-in-government/ 2016.12.09.
- Dijksterhuis, E., Silvius, G., 2016. The Design Thinking Approach to Projects, PM World Journal, 5(6), 1-15.
- Geissdoerfer, M., Bocken, N., Hultink, E., 2016. Design thinking to enhance the sustainable business modelling process – A workshop based on a value mapping process. Journal of Cleaner Production, 135, 1218-1232.
- Houston, D., 2014. Agility beyond Software Development, In Proceedings of the 2014 International Conference on Software and System Process, ACM Digital Library, 65-69.
- Kolko, J., 2015. Design Thinking Comes of Age. Harvard Business Review, 93(9), 66-69.
- Kramer, J., 2016. The Role of Design Thinking in Waterfall Methodology. [Online]. Available from: http://joshkramer.ca/the-role-of-design-thinking-inwaterfall-methodology/ 2016.12.09.
- Plattner, H., 2016. An Introduction to Design Thinking Process Guide. [Online]. Available from: https://dschool.stanford.edu/sandbox/groups/designresources/wiki/36873/attachments/8a846/ModeGuideBOOTCAMP2010.pdf/ 2016.12.09.
- Roach, T., 2015. How to Combine Design Thinking and Agile in Practice. [Online]. Available from: https://medium.com/startup-study-group/how-tocombine-design-thinking-and-agile-in-practice-36c9fc75c6e6#.z0eexdn5v/ 2016.12.09.
- Royce, W., 1970. Managing the Development of Large Software Systems. In Proceedings of IEEE WESCON August 1970, 26, 1–9.
- Shapira, H., Ketchie, A., Nehe, M., 2017. The integration of Design Thinking and Strategic Sustainable Development. Journal of Cleaner Production, 140, 277-287.
- Sutton, R., Hoyt, D., 2016. Better Service, Faster: A Design Thinking Case Study. Harvard Business Review, Digital Articles, 2-6.
- Turner, J., Cochrane, R., 1993. Goals-and-methods matrix: Coping with projects with ill defined goals and/or methods of achieving them. International Journal of Project Management, 11(2), 93-102.
- Vetterli, C., Uebernickel, F., Brenner, W., Petrie, C., Stermann, D., 2016. How Deutsche Bank's IT Division Used Design Thinking to Achieve Customer Proximity. MIS Quarterly Executive, 15(1), 37-53.
- Waloszek, G., 2012. Introduction to Design Thinking. [Online]. Available from: https://experience.sap.com/skillup/introduction-todesign-thinking/ 2016.12.09.