Proceedings of International Conference on Applied Innovation in IT
2014/03/27, Volume 1, Issue 2, pp.61-65
Improving TCP Performance on CSMA/CA Connections
Hao Hu, Dmitry Kachan, Eduard Siemens
Abstract: In IP networks, most of packets, that have been dropped, are recovered after the expiration of retransmission timeouts. These can result in unnecessary retransmissions and needless reduction of congestion window. An inappropriate retransmission timeout has a huge impact on TCP performance. In this paper we have proved that CSMA/CA mechanism can cause TCP retransmissions due to CSMA/CA effects. For this we have observed three wireless connections that use CSMA/CA: with good link quality, poor link quality and in presence of cross traffic. The measurements have been performed using real devices. Through tracking of each transmitted packet it is possible to analyze the relation between one-way delay and packet loss probability and the cumulative distribution of distances between peaks of OWDs. The distribution of OWDs and the distances between peaks of OWDs are the most important parameters of tuning TCP retransmission timeout on CSMA/CA networks. A new perspective through investigating the dynamical relation between one-way delay and packet loss ratio depending on the link quality to enhance the TCP performance has been provided.
Keywords: CSMA/CA, TCP performance, retransmission timeout, wireless
- TIA/EIA/cdma2000, "Mobile Station - Base Station Compatibility standard for Dual-Mode wideband Spread Spectrum Cellular Systems", Washington: TIA, 1999.
- E. Dahlman, S. Parkvall, J. Skoeld, P. Beming, "HSPA and LTE for Moblie Broadband", Elsevier, 2007.
- 3GPP TS36.300, "Evolved Universal Terrestrial Radio Access (EUTRA) and Evolved Universal Terrestrial Radio Access Network (EUTRAN); Overall description".
- WiMAX Forum. "Mobile WiMAX-Part I: A Technical Overview and Performance Evaluation", 08 2006. [Online]. Available: http://www.wimaxforum.org/news/downloads/Mobile_WiMAX_Part1_Overview_and_Performance.pdf
- G. Bianchi, "Performance Analysis of the IEEE 802.11 Distributed Coordination Function". Selected Areas in Communications, IEEE Journal on 18th Volume, 03.2000.
- M. A. Youssef and R. E. Miller. "Analyzing the Point Coordination Function of the IEEE 802.11 WLAN Protocol using a System of Communicating Machines Specification". 05 2002.
- IEEE Standard for Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications, ISO/IEC 8802-11:1999E.08 19999.
- A. S. Tanenbaum, D. J. Wetherall. "Computer Networks Fifth Edition", Pearson Education, 2011
- NJ Kothari, BM Gambhava, KS Dasgupta. "RTT utilization by detecting avoidable timeouts". 14th IEEE International Conference on Networks, Singapore. 09 2006.
- D Ciullo, M Mellia and M Meo. "Two schemes to reduce latency in short lives TCP flows". IEEE Communications Letters 13. 10 2009.
- P Mi-Young and C Sang-Hwa. "Distinguishing the cause of TCP retransmission timeouts in multi-hop wireless networks". 12th IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing and Communications. 09 2010.
- E. Siemens, S. Piger, C. Grimm, and M. Fromme, "LTest - a tool for distributed network performance measurement," Consumer Communications and Networking Conference, 2004. CCNC 2004, first IEEE, 01 2004.
- A. Bakre and B. R. Badrinath, "Handoff and System Support for Indirect TCP/IP". in proceedings of Second Usenix Symposium on Mobile and Location-Independent Computing, 04 1995.
- H. Balakrishnan et al.. "Improving TCP/IP Performance over Wireless Networks". in proceedings of ACM Mobicom, 11 1995.
- R. Ludwig et al.. "Multi-layer Tracing of TCP over a Reliable Wireless Link". in proceedings of ACM SIGMETRICS, 1999.
- S. Paul et al.. "An Asymetric Link-Layer Protocol for Digital Cellular Communications", in proceedings of INFOCOM, 1995.
- M. Mathis, J. Mahdavi, S. Floyd and A. Romanow. "TCP Selective Acknowledgments Options". 07 1996.
- E. Aynoglu, S. Paul, T. F. LaPorta, K. K. Sabnani and R. D. Gitlin. "AIRMAIL: A Link-Layer Protocol for Wireless Networks". 02 1995.
- Third Generation Partnership Project. "RLC Protocol Specification (3G TS 25.322)". 1999.
- TIA/EIA/IS-707-A-2.10. "Data Service Options for Spread Spectrum Systems: Radio Link Protocol Type 3". 01 2000.
- R. Ludwig and R. H. Katz. "The Eifel Algorithm: Making TCP Robust Against Spurious Retransmissions". In ACM Computer Communications Review, Vol. 30, No. 1. 01 2000.
- H. Inamura et.al.. "TCP over 2.5G and 3G Wireless Networks". draftietf-pilc-2.5g3g-07. 08 2002.
- M. C. Chan and R. Ramjee. "TCP/IP Performance over 3G wireless links with rate and variation". In Proceedings of ACM Mobicom'02. 2002.
- Mun Choon Chan and Ramachandran Ramjee. "Improving TCP/IP Performance over Third Generation Wireless Networks". Mobile Computing, IEEE Transaction on Volume 7, Issue 4. 04 2008.
- M. Natkaniec and A. R. Pach, "An Analysis of the Backoff Mechanism used in IEEE 802.11 Networks". Computers and Communications. 07 2000.
- Q. Pang, S. C. Liew, J. Y. B. Lee, and S.-H. G. Chan, "A TCP-like Adaptive Contention Window Scheme for WLAN". Communications, IEEE international Conference on Volume 6. 06 2004.
- T. Li. "Improving Performance for CSMA/CA Based Wireless Networks". A dissertation submitted for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy. 12 2007.
- P. Sreekumari and M. Lee, "TCP NRT: a new TCP algorithm for differentiating non-congestion retransmission timeouts over multihop wireless networks". EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking. 06 2013.